Your Pet and Coyotes
Erie is no stranger to coyote sightings. These clever canids have readily adapted to our food and habitat-rich environments. Just last week, Sergeant Haddox and Officer Willyard helped safely guide this tennis enthusiast off the courts. But today we share a sad story; a report of a coyote attack on a pet.
We would like to take a moment to share some reminders to help avoid coyote conflicts in your neighborhood. Please share these tips with your children and neighbors.
- Keep pets on a leash when walking
- Pick up small pets if confronted by a coyote
- Do what you can to discourage a coyote's approach - yell, stomp your feet, throw small rocks or sticks
- Always supervise your pet when outside, especially at dawn and dusk
- Never leave cats or dogs outside after dark
- Don't leave food or water outside for pets
- Keep your pets up to date on vaccinations
Questions or concerns regarding wildlife?
Call the Colorado Parks and Wildlife at 303-291-7227.