Golf Car Safety Reminders
Summer is a great time to get out of the house and have fun. While having fun, please remember the Town of Erie has a municipal ordinance regarding golf cars. Below are the highlights and if followed, should ensure your safety and the safety of others.
“Golf Car”, as set forth in Colorado Revised Statutes § 42-1-102, means a self-propelled vehicle not designed primarily for operation on roadways and that has: at least three wheels in contact with the ground; an empty weight of not more than one thousand three hundred pounds; and a carrying capacity of not more than four persons.
Town of Erie ordinance 6-11-14 allows residents to operate a Golf Car on certain streets throughout town as long as such operation meets the following requirements:
- Everyone operating a Golf Car shall be subject to all traffic laws.
- Drivers must have a valid driver's license and be 21 years of age or older
- Operation of Golf Cars is restricted to streets which have a speed of 25 mph or less and Mountain View Blvd.
- Exception: On streets where operation is not allowed due to this restriction, owners shall be allowed to drive the shortest route to and from owner’s residence to a street where the Golf Car is allowed.
- Golf cars are NOT permitted on Town of Erie trails.
- The number of people allowed in a golf car is limited to the number of seats available and shall not be more than 4 people.
- Child restraints must be used for children riding in the Golf Car in accordance with state statutes just as if they were riding in a car.
- Operators of a Golf Car must have liability insurance.
- Every Golf Car shall be equipped, at a minimum, with the following equipment:
- front headlamps
- front and rear turn signal lamps
- rear tail lamps and stop lamps
- rear view mirror or mirrors
- parking brake
- front windshield
- seat belts for each occupant
- two rear reflectors as either part of the tail lamps or separately
- a slow moving vehicle sign - as provided for by State law - shall be attached on the rear of the Golf Car
Residents who have any further questions about Golf Car operations in Erie, may visit the FAQ page or contact the Erie Police Department at 303-926-2800.
ERIE POLICE DEPARTMENT
1000 Telleen Avenue | P.O. Box 510
Erie, CO 80516
www.erieco.gov/police | 303-926-2800