WCR 5 Improvement Project Phase 4 Begins July 9
Beginning Saturday, July 9, the Town of Erie will move into Phase 4 of the WCR 5 Improvements Project. Phase 4 will now be the roadway construction at the intersection of Flora View Drive and WCR 5. This is a switch from original iterations of the phasing. See below for more details on the switch.
Included in the plans for the WCR 5 Improvement Project is to:
- Widen WCR 5 along the whole corridor
- Extend turn lanes where possible
- Add bike lanes along both sides of the roadway
- Extend sidewalks for added pedestrian options
- Add a traffic signal at WCR 5 and Flora View (north entrance to Soaring Heights)
This project is planned to help facilitate better traffic flow and create a safer pedestrian and bicyclist environment. The benefits to completing this project are many, but the Town does understand that the construction period for this project will create significant changes for parents, students, teachers, and community members who regularly commute through this area.
Phasing of Work
The Town of Erie is approving each phase of the work as it is about to begin. This allows for flexibility and implementing best practices and addressing any lessons learned between phases. This flexibility has allowed the Town to determine a flipping of phases – moving up the intersection improvements to happen before the work on WCR 5 just to the north of Erie Parkway – is the best way to limit school traffic impacts.
As we know, weather and other supply and resourcing issues can delay construction projects. It was determined that a delay in the reopening of the main entrance to Soaring Heights Elementary would be more detrimental than a possible delay in reopening the roadway near the intersection of Erie Parkway and WCR 5. The completion of the new Phase 5 is anticipated to wrap up on Aug. 16, just before the start of the school year.
Active construction hours are from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. or dusk. Phase 3:
- Where: Full closure of the intersection at Flora View Drive and WCR 5. No through traffic across WCR 5 or across Flora View at that location.
- Planned timeline: July 9 - 15
- Work Planned: Removal of existing asphalt, cut/fill grading per project plans, placement of base course, concrete curb and gutter, related utility piping for services, asphalt paving, striping, and signage up.
The traffic signal at this location will be installed later this winter due to signal pole procurement times. The Town is analyzing interim traffic control options.
- Suggested detours: All traffic attempting to reach Soaring Heights will need to use the southern parking lot entrance and come from the south on WCR 5.
All traffic from the north attempting to reach either school will need to detour on Horizon Ave. and Colliers Pkwy.
Motorists, pedestrians, and bicyclists are urged to pay close attention to detours and traffic control signs. Please reduce speeds and, if possible, avoid the construction area altogether.
Any questions or concerns about the overall project plans can be emailed to email@example.com. Any questions or concerns about the construction work itself can be directed to the contractor, Brandon Torrez at firstname.lastname@example.org or 720-327-1484. All residents are also encouraged to sign up for Cone Zone alerts from the Town to receive up-to-date information about this project and any others within the Town of Erie. All projects are also posted to www.erieco.gov/ConeZones.
Phase 4 Map