WCR 5 Improvement Project Phase 3 Begins June 16
Beginning Thursday, June 16, the Town of Erie will move into Phase 3 of the WCR 5 Improvements Project. As a reminder, this project started in the summer of 2021 with utility work in and around the roadway. Phase 3 was initially slated to begin just after Memorial Day, but heavy rain and other constraints pushed the transition date for this Phase.
The project will ultimately increase safety for vehicles, pedestrians, and cyclists and will improve traffic flow through the area. Included in the plans for the WCR 5 Improvement Project is to:
- Widen WCR 5 along the whole corridor
- Extend turn lanes where possible
- Add bike lanes along both sides of the roadway
- Extend sidewalks for added pedestrian options
- Add a traffic signal at WCR 5 and Flora View (north entrance to Soaring Heights)
This project is planned to help facilitate better traffic flow and create a safer pedestrian and bicyclist environment. The benefits to completing this project are many, but the Town does understand that the construction period for this project will create significant changes for parents, students, teachers, and community members who regularly commute through this area.
Phasing of Work
The Town of Erie will be approving each phase of the work as it is about to begin. This allows for flexibility and implementing best practices and addressing any lessons learned between phases. There are six planned phases for this project, all of which have draft timelines and plans that will be adjusted and approved as the project progresses.
The third phase of work is planned to begin on Thursday, June 16. Active construction hours are from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. or dusk. Phase 3:
- Where: Full closure of WCR5 directly in front of Erie High School Access to Colliers Parkway and to the north entrance of EHS will be closed. South EHS entrance access remains open.
- Planned timeline: June 16 - July 12
- Work Planned: Removal of existing asphalt, cut/fill grading per project plans, placement of base course, concrete curb and gutter, adding medians, related utility piping for services, landscaping, asphalt paving, striping, and signage up.
- Suggested detours: The only access point to Erie High School will be from the south entrance coming in from Erie Parkway onto WCR 5. Access to Soaring Heights Elementary will be available from the north into the north entrance of the school from WCR 5 or across on Flora View Drive.
Motorists, pedestrians, and bicyclists are urged to pay close attention to detours and traffic control signs. Please reduce speeds and, if possible, avoid the construction area altogether.
Any questions or concerns about the overall project plans can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Any questions or concerns about the construction work itself can be directed to the contractor, Brandon Torrez at email@example.com or 720-327-1484. All residents are also encouraged to sign up for Cone Zone alerts from the Town to receive up-to-date information about this project and any others within the Town of Erie. All projects are also posted to www.erieco.gov/ConeZones.
Phase 3 Map