WCR 5 Improvement Project Phase 2 Begins
May 4 > May 6
Beginning Friday, May 6, the Town of Erie will move into Phase 2 of the WCR 5 Improvements Project. As a reminder, this project started in the summer of 2021 with utility work in and around the roadway, Phase 1 of the project this year began on March 14. The project will ultimately increase safety for vehicles, pedestrians, and cyclists and will improve traffic flow through the area.
Included in the plans for the WCR 5 Improvement Project is to:
- Widen WCR 5 along the whole corridor
- Extend turn lanes where possible
- Add bike lanes along both sides of the roadway
- Extend sidewalks for added pedestrian options
- Add a traffic signal at WCR 5 and Flora View (north entrance to Soaring Heights)
This project is planned to help facilitate better traffic flow and create a safer pedestrian and bicyclist environment. The benefits to completing this project are many, but the Town does understand that the construction period for this project will create significant changes for parents, students, teachers, and community members who regularly commute through this area.
Phasing of Work
The Town of Erie will be approving each phase of the work as it is about to begin. This allows for flexibility and implementing best practices and addressing any lessons learned between phases. There are six planned phases for this project, all of which have draft timelines and plans that will be adjusted and approved as the project progresses.
The second phase of work is planned to begin on Friday, May 6. Active construction hours are from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. or dusk. Phase 2:
- Where: Full closure of WCR5 from the south side of Flora View Drive to the northern Erie High School entrance.
- Planned timeline: May 6 – June 7
- Work Planned: Removal of existing asphalt, cut/fill grading per project plans, placement of base course, concrete curb and gutter, adding medians, related utility piping for services, landscaping, asphalt paving, striping, and signage up.
- Suggested detours: All school entrances will remain open. All traffic attempting to reach Soaring Heights northern entrance from the north will be open.
All traffic from the north attempting to reach any other entrance will need to detour on Horizon Ave. and Colliers Pkwy.
All traffic from the south attempting to reach any entrance except the northern Soaring Heights entrance will be open. To reach the northern Soaring Heights entrance from the south traffic will need to detour on Colliers Pkwy, Horizon Blvd, then Flora View Dr.
Motorists, pedestrians, and bicyclists are urged to pay close attention to detours and traffic control signs. Please reduce speeds and, if possible, avoid the construction area altogether.
Any questions or concerns about the overall project plans can be emailed to email@example.com. Any questions or concerns about the construction work itself can be directed to the contractor, Waylon Morse at 303-763-0976. All residents are also encouraged to sign up for Cone Zone alerts from the Town to receive up-to-date information about this project and any others within the Town of Erie. All projects are also posted to www.erieco.gov/ConeZones.
Phase 2 Map