WCR5 Construction Updates & Traffic Flow
Late last week, St. Vrain Valley School District sent a message to all parents and staff about the plans to mitigate pressures created by construction work happening on Weld County Road 5. To follow up on the SVVSD email to members of our community who have children attending Erie High School and Soaring Heights Elementary School, we sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you have experienced as the new school year has started. Town staff has received your comments and we thank you for your thoughtful suggestions for improvements. We know this hasn’t been and easy transition and we take your messages very seriously.
The Town of Erie greatly values our partnership with the SVVSD and we are working to provide more robust outreach regarding construction matters when it directly impacts our schools. Staff is currently engaging with both school districts in the community to improve communication and processes where we have shared interests.
Updates & Traffic Flow
Though the hope was to have all work completed over the weekend, that was not possible with the additional rain and storms we saw on Friday afternoon. Cones are still in place through the area and construction workers will be on site working. Please drive carefully and watch for workers, cones, and signs in the area. The Town has asked the contractor to push as fast as they are able to finish this portion of work as quickly as possible this week.
The Erie Police Department has been working closely with the SVVSD Security Director to address safety concerns during drop-off and pick- up hours. School Resource Officers and other Erie Police Officers are on site each morning and afternoon and this will continue through the week of August 23-27 as more assessments and improvements are made.
Other ways to help mitigate the impacts to traffic are as follows:
- Students can be dropped off at Erie high School as early as 7 a.m. when the front office opens. This will allow for a more staggered morning drop off.
- Supervision for students at Soaring Height begins at 7:50 a.m.
- The bus pick-up and drop-off location at SHES has been relocated temporarily to create a second hug-and-go lane in our current bus loop.
- Families can park in the Erie High School parking lot and bus loop any time after 3:10 p.m. and walk to Soaring Heights to pick-up their student(s).
- Please ensure all parents have a placard in the car windshield with your student(s) full name and teacher's name.
- Parents should not arrive at the school for pickup before 3:10 p.m.
Again, thank you for your continued patience as we work through many unforeseen delays in construction from unprecedented weather, impacts of the pandemic, and other complications. The Town, SVVSD, and EPD will continue to monitor traffic flow and make adjustments as needed.
Please visit www.erieco.gov/ConeZones for up-to-date information about all road work in the Town of Erie and to sign up for real-time text message alerts regarding road impacts. Concerns, comments, or questions can be submitted through the ErieSubmit app or at email@example.com.