Keep Your Family Safe from Household Chemicals
Chemicals you use in your home can be dangerous to your health and the environment. To keep your family safe, follow these safety tips when you use, store, or throw them out.
Use and Storage tips:
- Follow the instructions on the label when using and storing household chemicals.
- Don’t mix product; this can cause deadly gases or cause a fire.
- Store produces in their original containers.
- Store anything which can catch fire away from your home.
- Only fill portable gasoline containers outdoors in an airy area. Make sure to place the container on the ground when you fill the container.
- Never store materials which can cause a fire in the sun, near an open flame or other heat source.
- Store household chemical materials out of the reach of children and pets.
- Use safety locks and guardrails on shelves and cabinets when you store materials. This will prevent them from falling or tipping.
- Wear gloves or goggles when you use the materials.
When you need to throw them out:
- Follow the instructions on the label.
- Aerosol cans might contain chemicals that can burn. Do not discard in the trash as they can explode or start a fire.
- If there is a spill, clean the area and put the containers in an airy place. If the spill cannot be controlled, or if there are concerns about cleanup and disposal, call the local fire department.
For more information and resources visit: www.usfa.fema.gov