The work will also extend a new line south on County Line Road then east on Austin Ave. and connect to the line on Mason Street just north of Austin Ave.
The contractor for this project is Wagner Construction. The contractor began mobilizing construction equipment on Monday, Sept. 27 and plan to being construction on Monday, Oct. 4.
In an effort to minimize traffic impacts along Austin Ave. and Erie Parkway, Town staff and Wagner Construction collaborated on a creative solution. Typically, an open trench method of construction across Erie Parkway and on Austin Ave. would have been used, tearing up the road up to a point east of the access to the Aspen Ridge Prep School. This has been changed to a horizontal directional drill (HDD) method of installing pipe which will limit the closures and impacts. The impact will be limited to lane closures on Erie Parkway, as opposed to full closures of the road.
During construction, there will be a temporarily closure of the center turn lane on Austin Ave. just west of County Line Road and east of the access to the school. This change will minimize impact for school traffic during drop-off and pick-up times.
The current anticipated timeline includes:
- Oct. 4 - Open trench construction will begin on the west side of County Line Road from Erie Parkway south to Austin Ave. this will require the shoulder to be closed, but no lane closure.
- Oct. 5 – Horizontal directional drill (HDD) construction will begin for both Austin Ave. and Erie Parkway. The center left turn lane will be closed on Austin Ave. west of County Line Road and east of the access to the charter school.
- Oct. 14 – Oct. 18 - Open trench construction will be done in Austin Ave. from the location east of the school access to the connection to the existing waterline in Mason Ave. This will require lane closures and closure of the intersection of Mason St. and Austin Ave. This time was chosen specifically as it is fall break for the charter school. The contractor will work through the weekend to complete the work.
- Oct. 21 - HDD construction will begin for crossing County Line Road. Due to the significant number of utilities, this method of construction for crossing County Line Road was in the original project design.
- Nov. 19 – Nov. 24 - The connection to the existing waterline in Erie Parkway will begin. This will require one of the west bound lanes of Erie Parkway to be closed and the northbound left turn lane will be closed. Left turns will still be accommodated.
Motorists, pedestrians, and bicyclists are urged to pay close attention to flaggers and traffic control signs, reduce speeds and, if possible, avoid the construction area during work hours. Traffic control signage, delineators and flaggers will be on site to enable travel through the construction area in a timely and safe manner. Delays may occur and alternate routes are strongly recommended.
All dates are subject to change due to unforeseen site conditions and weather delays. Updates will be sent out as needed to update the schedule.
For more information on this project, please contact Town of Erie Civil Engineer, Wendi Palmer at 303-926-2875 or email@example.com.