Upon graduation of a sponsored academy, the Cadet will transition to the position of Police Officer for the Erie Police Department.
To qualify for the Cadet position, an applicant must:
- Possess a High school diploma or equivalent (GED)
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Be able to attain and maintain a variety of law enforcement certifications.
- Pass a comprehensive background check, polygraph, drug screen, and psychological and physical exams.
- Valid Colorado Driver's License and satisfactory driving record.
Qualified applicants will be invited to testing and will be required to pass the following:
- Written Exam (National Police Officer Selection Test)
- Physical Agility Testing
- Run an obstacle course that begins by sitting in the driver's seat of a car, exiting the car, and running 175 feet to an 8-foot ladder and ascend/descend five steps or rungs, then run 50 feet to and crawl for 12 feet and return, running 50 feet to the sitting position in the driver's seat of the car within 101 seconds.
- Within two minutes of completing the obstacle course, the participant will pull a weighted object (150 pounds) 25 feet from a standing position.
- Immediately after the weight pull, the participant will run a distance of ¼ mile within 162 seconds.
- Oral Board Interview
- Personal History Statement (PHS) and Release of Information Agreement
- Background Investigation
- Interview with the Chief of Police
- Conditional Job Offer
- Physical and Psychological Exam
- Successfully obtain a Colorado Peace Officers Standards Certificate (POST Certification) from the academy.
Positions open periodically throughout the year for a Fall and Winter academy. Check the website to view, and apply for the cadet position: www.erieco.gov/jobs.