Erie Police employees make a difference in the community daily by performing a wide variety of police and law enforcement duties, including protecting property, crime detection, and public safety.
To qualify for the Police Officer position, an applicant must be Colorado POST certified or can challenge the Colorado POST as an out-of-state applicant and obtain certification successfully.
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED)
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must be able to attain and maintain a variety of law enforcement certifications.
- Must be able to pass a comprehensive background check, polygraph, drug screen, and psychological and physical exams.
- Valid Colorado Driver's License and satisfactory driving record.
- State of Colorado Peace Officers Standards Certificate (POST Certification)
Upon submitting an application, candidates that are deemed qualified and eligible will be required to pass the following:
- Written Exam - The National Police Officer Selection Test.
- Physical Agility Testing - To successfully complete the physical agility test, the participant must:
- Run an obstacle course that begins by sitting in the driver's seat of a car, exiting the car, and running 175 feet to an 8-foot ladder and ascend/descend five steps or rungs, then run 50 feet to and crawl for 12 feet and return, running 50 feet to the sitting position in the driver's seat of the car within 101 seconds.
- Within two minutes of completing the obstacle course, the participant will pull a weighted object (150 pounds) 25 feet from a standing position.
- Immediately after the weight pull, the participant will run a distance of ¼ mile within 162 seconds.
- Oral Board Interview
- Personal History Statement (PHS) and Release of Information Agreement
- Background Investigation
- Interview with the Chief of Police
- Conditional Job Offer
- Physical and Psychological Exam
Applications are currently being accepted for Police Officer. The application is available at www.erieco.gov/jobs until November 30, 2022.
Job Interest Notifications
In the event that we are not currently hiring, we encourage those interested to sign up for job posting notifications to be alerted when an opening happens.
Pay and Benefits
Effective May 22, 2022, the starting salary range for a POST-certified Police Officer is $68,140.80 - $97,468.80.
The Town of Erie offers a comprehensive benefits package and pays a substantial portion of the employee premium to make these benefits more affordable. Benefits coverage begins the 1st of the month following the hire date.
- Robust Medical, Dental and Vision plans, including spouse, domestic partner and family coverage options
- Employer paid Basic Life/AD&D and Voluntary Life/AD&D
- Employer paid Short Term Disability and Employer paid Long Term Disability
- Employer paid Employee Assistance Program
- Retirement plan with a 5% employer match with immediate 100% vesting in your deferral contributions and employer contributions
- 3 ½ Weeks of Paid Time Off per year (increases with years of service) and 13 Paid Holidays
- Extended sick leave and family sick leave program including parental leave for birth and bonding
- Employer sponsored wellness program, including employee-based fitness classes
- Education reimbursement up to $2,000 per year
- Free membership to the Erie Community Center
- Pet Insurance
- Employee Discount Program