Turf Replacement Rebate Program
The submission deadline for the 2022 Turf Replacement Rebate Program has passed. Please fill out this survey to be put on the waitlist for any possible upcoming program in 2023!
The Town of Erie is providing turf replacement rebates to help reduce outdoor water use, save money on your water bill, and beautify your yard with native plantings and landscape rather than non-native turf. Rebates for qualified projects can reach up to $2,000. Projects can replace your lawn with water-wise gardens or low water use grass. Projects must replace from 200-1,000 sq. ft. of maintained irrigated turf grass with low/no-water use plantings. Work with a landscape professional to design a landscape plan that consists of low or no water use plants. Landscape plans and rebate applications must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. Rebate funding is first come, first serve and is contingent upon project completion and walkthrough. Rebates will be given for eligible projects as long as funding allows.
Here are the highlights!
- Up to $2/sqft for low water use garden plantings.
- Mulched beds cannot have more than 25% bare mulch when plants mature.
- Mulch can include shredded bark, bark chips, or rock.
- Low-water use turf can replace high water use turf. Artificial turf not eligible. Low-water use grass rebates $1/sqft
- Turf Type Tall Fescue
- Sheep, Blue and Hard Fine Fescues
- Texas Hybrid Bluegrass
- Dog Tuff Grass from PlantSelect.com
- Turf replacement will require that irrigation systems are upgraded/updated. Using the existing spray heads will most likely not be an effective way of caring for your new water-wise landscape.
Turf Replacement Rebate Requirements and Guidelines
- Qualifying projects must be replacing at least 200 square feet and up to 1,000 square feet of existing and maintained irrigated turf grass. Only projects that receive their water from the Town of Erie are eligible.
- Projects over 1,000 square feet are allowed. Rebate only apply to up to 1,000 square feet.
- This turf grass must be replaced with low or no-water use plant beds or low-water use grasses.
- $2 per sq. ft. for low-water use garden plantings. $1 per sq. ft. for low water use grasses. Rebates can be received as a check or as a credit to your water account.
- Projects must be submitted between March 1-August 1, 2022. Projects must be completed by October 1, 2022.
- Project must be approved by the Town of Erie before ground is broken.
- Must submit a design to the Town as part of approval process.
- Must provide pictures of plantings BEFORE mulch is installed.
- The following mulch materials can be used in the plant beds: bark, bark chips, or rock.
- Must meet the landscaping requirements set forth in Town of Erie's Unified Development Code.
- Irrigation system must be designed to meet the needs of the new landscape. Hand watering is allowed.
- Keep and submit all your receipts from start to finish of your project.
- A site visit is required once the project is completed and before the rebate can be given. These visits can be scheduled by reaching out to email@example.com or by calling 303-926-2871.
- All projects must be completed and been visited by a Town of Erie representative by October 1, 2022.
Submitting A Design:
All parts of your design must be submitted before you start your project. Not completing the submission will result in not receiving a rebate for your project. Here is an outline of the design submission:
- Aerial view of your property from an online mapping program.
- Pictures that show the area of turf being viable (green grass, not crab grass).
- Proposed project area: Outline using tracing paper or a computer program the area of turf that will be replaced.
- Measurements of the area called out on the outline.
- The calculated square footage of the project area.
- An irrigation design that shows your current irrigation design and the system that will be used to irrigate your new landscape.
- Plant list and design: Show which plants you are using, where they’re going to be planted, and how much space they will be inhabit once they reach maturity and the type of mulch that will be used.
- Proof of HOA approval (if applicable).
- Submit the design! Designs should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org or can be dropped off at Town Hall.
- Complete the online rebate application form.
Lawn Replacement Program - Lawn Removal Service
The Town is partnering with Resource Central to help homeowners with the step of actually removing their grass. Erie water customers pay only $1 per square foot of lawn removed up to 800 square feet, thanks to a subsidy from the Town. The minimum project size for this service is 200 square feet. There are a limited number of appointments available to Erie Water Customers in the Spring season. Learn more information on this program and to apply today! Appointments are scheduled from May through September.
- Is artificial turf allowed to be installed at my residence in the Town of Erie?
- Can you plan a turf replacement project if you live in an HOA?
- Is there a limit to how many Garden's In A Box you can buy with a discount?
- Do Garden's In a Box and Turf Replacement projects meet the requirements of the municipal code?