Roof Replacement - Residential
Roof inspections are completed by drone. By applying for a roofing permit you are consenting to inspection by drone.
- Completed application
- Be sure to note in the description the type of roofing to be installed and the number of squares to be installed
- Homeowner affidavit if the homeowner/occupant proposes to complete the work themselves (must own and occupy the property as primary residence to qualify)
A permit is required when more than one square of roof covering is to be replaced over the aggregate area of the roof. Every slope where roof covering is to be replaced shall be replaced in its entirety. The interface of different types of roof coverings shall only occur at a ridge, hip, or open valley. A roof covering replacement requiring a permit shall comply with the ventilation requirements of Section R806 as applicable. (Section R908)
The Town of Erie does not currently require a mid-roof inspection.
Final roofing inspection must be requested thru the Customer Self-Service Portal.
Roof inspections are conducted by drone. By obtaining a re-roof permit, you are consenting to the use of a drone for inspection.
Ladders are not required to be set up on site.
Inspections may be delayed due to weather conditions.
Town of Erie requires a minimum 110 mph sustained wind warranty from roof covering manufacturer.
- Ice shield is not required
- 3-Tab Shingles are not permitted on habitable structures
- Mid-roof inspections are not required
- Contractor is required to provide a ladder (set and secured) for final inspection
- Attic Ventilation shall comply with R806
- Drip edge is required on eaves and on rakes
- New roof coverings shall not be installed without first removing existing roof coverings
- Flashing shall comply with R908.6
- Sidewall flashing shall comply with R905.2.8.3
- Valleys shall comply with R905.2.8.2
- Underlayment shall comply with R905.1.1 (and tables)
- Low-slope roofs shall have minimum 2 layers of underlayment
- Fasteners shall be in accordance with code requirements for type of roofing to be installed
Code references are to the 2015 International Residential Code.