Residential Basement Finish
- Completed application (include contractors or list homeowner if applicable)
- Floor plan
- Must be to scale and have dimensions
- Must show entire footprint of basement including areas that are already finished or that are proposed to remain unfinished
- Must include room labels (bedroom, rec room, stairs, etc) and show location of mechanical equipment (furnace, water heater, electrical panels, sump, etc.)
- Installation manual showing required clearances for any proposed fireplaces or other appliances including steam shower generators.
- Homeowner affidavit if the homeowner/occupant proposes to complete any of the work themselves (must own and occupy the property as primary residence to qualify)
- Finished basements are not eligible to be utilized as a separate or accessory dwelling unit (apartment or rental unit) unless it was designed and approved as such. There are many UDC requirements and building code requirements for separate dwelling units that are not met by a typical basement finish.
- Water heater/furnace replacement cannot be included in basement finish permit. Separate permit is required.
- Engineering may be required:
- if any new openings are proposed in the exterior walls
- if any mono-posts or other supports are proposed to be moved or removed
- if any interior walls are proposed to be moved or removed
Inspections in occupied homes are currently being conducted virtually utilizing Zoom. Please see our policy for requirements.
As all projects are different, some inspections may not be required, or additional inspections not listed here may be required.
Standard basement finish inspections:
- Underground plumbing (plumbing under by the basement floor)
- Rough Electric (wiring)
- Rough Plumbing (water, drain, and vent piping)
- Rough Mechanical (bath exhaust fans, heat registers, transfer grills, etc.)
- Rough Framing
- Final Electric
- Final Plumbing
- Final Mechanical
- Final Building
All rough inspections are completed at the same time, and all final inspections are completed at the same time.