Unified Development Code - Oil and Gas
The Town of Erie is currently evaluating the expanded regulatory authority allowed under Senate Bill 19-181 to make amendments to the current Unified Development Code's Chapter 12 (oil and gas operations).
- Submit written comment via email, through September 14, 2020 for 10.2.1, 10.12.2, 10.12.3, 10.12.5, 10.12.7 of the September 3, 2020 revisions.
- Submit written comment via email, through September 24, 2020 for 10.12.4, 10.12.2E.9 of the September 3, 2020 revisions.
- View the August 28, 2020 revisions.
- View the February 14, 2020 revisions.
- View the October 28 revisions.
Through collaboration with stakeholder groups, Board of Trustees, and community members we will deliver quality recommendations that focus on safety, health, welfare of residents while working with industry partners. Staff actions towards this current goal include:
- Revise oil and gas regulations for adoption by Board of Trustees to ensure they protect public health safety, welfare and the environment and are reasonable, consistent with SB 181.
- Prepare a public engagement process for public input during the revisions to the regulations
- Provide draft moratorium extension language to the Board of Trustees with time required to revise the regulations and engage the public
- Stay appraised of and work with neighboring communities to coordinate oil and gas regulatory efforts.
- Increase utilization of technical consultants under direction of the local government designee.
- Draft Erie oil and gas policy statement for the Board of Trustees to consider.
- Develop priorities for addressing oil and gas issues including ongoing operations, proposed sites, and adjacent development.
- SEPTEMBER 15, 2020
- jUNE 23, 2020
- dECEMBER 10, 2019
- nOVEMBER 14, 2019
- NOVEMBER 18, 2019
- June 25, 2019
- April 16, 2019
- January 22, 2019
- july 10, 2018
September 15, 2020
On September 15, 2020 the Board of Trustees will host an air quality presentation by Detlev Helmig of Boulder Air. The presentation will be held during the Study Session, and will begin at 8 p.m. and is followed by a Q&A session.
June 23, 2020
On June 23, 2020, the Board of Trustees extended the temporary moratorium on the acceptance, processing and approval of any applications under the Unified Development Code related to oil and gas exploration, extraction and related operations; until December 28, 2020 to adopt updated regulations as authorized under Senate Bill 19-181. The previous order would have expired on July 28, 2020.
December 10, 2019
On December 10, 2019, the Board adopted an Ordinance extending the Temporary Moratorium on the acceptance, processing and approval of any applications under the Unified Development Code related to oil and gas exploration, extraction and related operations; until July 28, 2020 to adopt updated regulations as authorized under Senate Bill 19-181.
November 14, 2019
Tabletop Workshop Topic: Administrative and Public Provisions or Oil and Gas Regulations
Process Flow Chart
Overview of Application Public Engagement and Enforcement
November 18, 2019
Table Top Workshop Topic: Environmental and Nuisance Standards
Overview of Air Quality Standards
Overview of Water Quality Standards
Overview of Environmental Standards
Overview of Land Use and Service Delivery Standards
Overview of Nuisance Standards
June 25, 2019
The Board of Trustees extended the temporary moratorium with Ordinance 19-2019 and will allow no Town approval of new oil and gas development. Town officials plan to evaluate the expanded regulatory authority allowed under Senate Bill 19-181 and develop amendments to the Unified Development Code related to oil and gas operations.
April 16, 2019
The Governor signed Senate Bill 19-181, granting local governments express authority to regulate surface operations and nuisance impacts of oil and gas operations to better protect the health, safety, and welfare of its citizens and to safeguard the environment and wildlife resources.
January 22, 2019
The Board of Trustees adopted Ordinance 02-2019, extending the Temporary Moratorium through August 13, 2019.
July 10, 2018
The Board of Trustees voted to adopt Ordinance 20-2018, which imposed a Temporary Moratorium on the acceptance, processing, and approval of any application under the Unified Development Code related to oil and gas exploration, extraction, and related operations. During the Temporary Moratorium, the Town will investigate regulatory practices of other communities and began revisions to the Town’s regulations relating to oil and gas exploration, extraction, and related operations.